“But why baba ganoush without tahini?” you might ask. Well, because that’s moutabal. Yup, they’re both roasted eggplant based dips and both from the Middle East. But they’re not the same, as many do believe. And tahini is the main differentiator here.
In Arabic, baba ganoush literally means spoiled dad. They say this vegan roasted eggplant spread is so delicious, you’d feel really spoiled when eating it. And while I get the spoiling part, I still don’t understand why only “baba” feels spoiled 😉.
Baba ganoush ingredients
In this paragraph you’ll find general information about the necessary ingredients and possible substitutes. Details about needed quantities and step-by-step preparation can be found in the recipe card at the end of the article.
The ingredients you need to prepare this baba ganoush recipe are quite simple and easy to find:
- roasted eggplant – roasting the eggplants on an open flame is the best way to get that smoky flavor that we all love; if open flame is not an option, you can roast them in the oven and add some liquid smoke; both freshly roasted and frozen eggplants work for this recipe;
- tomatoes – I had some cherry tomatoes, but feel free to use regular tomatoes;
- pomegranate molasses – you can either buy it from Arabic shops or you can make it yourself at home; use some freshly squeezed pomegranate juice and simmer it over low heat until it reduces about 4 times in volume (it will take a while though);
- onion & garlic – finely diced / chopped;
- olive oil
- fresh mint leaves – you can use parsley instead;
- fresh lemon juice
- sumac – to garnish the dip; you can also add some roasted walnuts or pine seeds.
As for the preparation, roasting the eggplants will be the hardest part here. Chopping garlic and mint, dicing onion … piece of cake 😉.
Other vegan dip / spread recipes
- Roasted red pepper spread with walnuts – muhammara
- Smoked tofu spread
- Roasted beat and garlic hummus
- Vegan moutabal
- Smooth homemade hummus
- Green lentil pate
If you like this no tahini baba ganoush recipe, please rate it or leave a comment below. And, if you prepare a vegan roasted eggplant spread using my recipe, you can share a photo and tag Choose Tasty either on Instagram (#choose_tasty) or on Facebook (#choosetasty). I’d love to see your creations.
Baba Ganoush Recipe | Without Tahini
- 2 medium sized roasted eggplants chopped
- 2 medium sized tomatoes (or a few cherry tomatoes) cut into cubes
- 3-4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- a few fresh mint leaves chopped
- ½ tsp sumac (for garnishing) optional
- Place in a bowl chopped roasted eggplants together with garlic, onion, olive oil, pomegranate molasses, lemon juice, and salt and combine well;
- Gently fold in tomatoes and mint leaves;
- Garnish with olive oil and sumac and serve with pita bread or crackers and fresh vegetables.