Long time ago, when “normality” was going to work in an office, every spring my my lunch quickly became a huge salad bowl. I’m not missing that “normality”, I only remember it was kind of funny for my colleagues to see me every day with a 3l casserole full of veggies and other stuff (I wasn’t vegan back then, not even vegetarian ????). And I didn’t give up this habit not even when I moved to China. And the Chinese colleagues were quite puzzled because they couldn’t get why I was bringing food from home when I could have lunch for free at the canteen ????.
I gradually gave up meat, then eggs and dairy products, so I needed to find new healthy and nourishing ingredients. And this is how my huge salads turned into super delicious Buddha bowls, so nice and colorful I can eat them with my eyes ????.
What’s a Buddha bowl?
It is said that the Buddha bowl name is inspired by the resemblance between the bowl’s shape (when it’s full) and Buddha’s belly ????. So basically, if you eat what’s in this rich bowl, your belly will grow as fat as Buddha’s ????. Just kidding here! It’s actually related to an Asian concept which implies achieving balance in the way we eat. And, to achieve that balance, a Buddha bowl must include a few types of ingredients:
- grains: rice, quinoa, bulgur, buckwheat, etc.; obviously, noodles or pasta work fine too;
- plant protein: tofu, tempeh or legumes (lentils, beans, chickpeas, etc.);
- cooked vegetables (baked, steamed or blanched): potatoes, asparagus, carrots, beets, broccoli, etc.;
- fresh vegetables: tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbage, spinach, kale;
- a dressing or a sauce.
All these ingredients are served in small portions on the same bowl. And they’re usually cold.
Also, besides the above mentioned ingredients, you can also add bean sprouts and / or nuts.
How to make a brown rice sweet potato bowl with wild garlic sauce
Unfortunately, I didn’t save the photos I took while preparing this bowl. But the good news is that the preparation is so simple and photos are not really needed here. And actually, when it comes to Buddha bowls, the plating is more important than the preparation ????.
So, all you need to do is cook the brown rice according to the package instructions. Then cut tofu and sweet potatoes into cubes, drizzle over some olive oil, add salt and pepper and bake for 20 minutes. I baked them at 190°C until the potatoes got tender and tofu turned golden. An air fryer would work fine too.
As for the wild garlic sauce, just blend all ingredients until you get a smooth consistency. It’s better to add first half of the water quantity and then gradually add more until you get the desired consistency.
All you need to do now is arrange the bowl. Start with the base (the rice), then add tofu, potatoes, greens and avocado. Drizzle fresh lemon juice on top, sprinkle sesame seeds, add wild garlic sauce and enjoy!
Just bear in mind you can also add vegan patties into these bowls, especially if you make them in batches of 20, like I do ????. You can try some sweet potato and green pea patties or quinoa chickpea patties.
If you like this vegan vegan brown rice sweet potato bowl with wild garlic sauce recipe, please rate it or leave a comment below. And if you give it a try, take a picture and share it on Instagram; don’t forget to tag #choose_tasty.
Brown Rice Sweet Potato Bowl with Wild Garlic Sauce
- 300 g sweet potatoes cut into cubes
- 200 g firm tofu cut into cubes
- 100 g brown rice
- green veggies: wild garlic, valerian or other fresh green leaves you have
- 2 avocado
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- sesame seeds
Wild garlic sauce
- 20 g wild garlic
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 150 ml apa
- Boil the rice according to the package instructions;
- Put tofu and sweet potato cubes in a baking trey and drizzle over the olive oil; add salt and pepper and combine; place the trey into the oven and bake at 190° C for 20 minutes, until the potatoes get tender and the tofu cubes are a bit crispy;
- Blend all sauce ingredients until smooth; add water gradually so you get the desired consistency;
- Arrange rice, sweet potato, tofu, avocado and green leaves as you wish in 2 bowls, drizzle over wild garlic sauce and enjoy!