When it comes to pasta, possibilities are unlimited, right? ???? So, why not doing something different and the usual white or tomato based sauce pasta?! If you feel the same, this cauliflower steak with pumpkin seeds pesto pasta recipe is for you! Add some roasted cherry tomatoes and you got yourself a beautiful vegan pasta bowl.
How to make cauliflower steak with pumpkin seeds pesto pasta
Check the recipe card at the end of the article for details about ingredients and needed quantities.
Start by preparing the pumpkin seeds mint pesto. You can prepare it 1 day in advance to make it easier.
I like adding some extra flavor to the seeds by toasting them into a skillet over medium heat, for 3-5 minutes. You can skip this step if you wish.
However, if you choose to roast the pumpkin seeds, allow them to cool, then add all pesto ingredients to a food processor and process until you get a thick paste (it doesn’t need to be really smooth). Add water gradually until you get the desired thickness.
You can also make 2-3 servings and freeze the pesto. I keeps really well for about 2 months in the freezer.
Next, you need to prepare the cauliflower steaks and cherry tomatoes. Slice the cauliflower into 2 cm pieces (you’ll get about 4 slices out of a 600 g cauliflower). You should cut the cauliflower in half first, then cut the slices. The florets on the sides will break, but you should spice and add them also into the baking tray (no waste here ????).
Place the spices into a small bowl and combine them well. Drizzle the olive oil over the cauliflower steaks, then sprinkle over the spices. Rub well the cauliflower steaks until they’re entirely covered with the spices.
Then add the cherry tomatoes to the baking tray and drizzle over some olive oil. Place the tray into the oven and bake at 190°C for 25-30 minutes, until the cauliflower softens enough. Depending on the cherry tomatoes size, you might need to remove them faster from the oven. If they’re very small, they might turn out quite bitter when overbaked. But, if that’s too much trouble, you can skip roasting the tomatoes; they’re very tasty when fresh ????.
While the veggies are roasting, you can cook the pasta according to the package instructions. When they’re done, rinse under cold water, then let them drain into a sieve. Combine them well with pumpkin seeds pesto, arrange on a platter with cauliflower steaks and cherry tomatoes and enjoy!
Mint pumpkin seeds pesto serving suggestions
Combining this pesto with pasta is a really good idea, but it’s not the only possibility.
I sometimes add it to boiled potatoes to make a delicious potato salad. Add some steamed green pea and t’s just perfect!
You can also serve it with gnocchi and veggies (asparagus, broccoli, etc.).
And it will come right in handy if the pesto is already prepared, in the freezer ????.
Other vegan pasta recipe ideas
- Zucchini tofu balls pasta with garlicky white sauce
- Broccoli wild garlic stuffed shells
- Green pea mushroom pasta
- Spinach and garlicky cherry tomato pasta
If you like this cauliflower steak with pumpkin seeds pesto pasta recipe, please rate it or leave a comment below; I’d love to know your feedback. And, if you prepare these vegan pasta, you can share a photo and tag Choose Tasty either on Instagram, or on Facebook.
Cauliflower Steak with Pumpkin Seeds Pesto Pasta
- 200 g pasta
- 4 cauliflower slices from a 5-600 g cauliflower
- 300 g cherry tomatoes
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder or to taste
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dehydrated garlic
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
Pumpkin seeds pesto ingredients
- 60 g pumpkin seeds roasted
- 15 g fresh mint leaves
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- ½ tsp black ground pepper
- 100 ml water
- Place all pesto ingredients in a high-speed blender and process until you get a thick paste; add water gradually until you get the desired thickness;
- Preheat the oven at 190°C;
- Combine all spices into a small bowl; drizzle olive oil over the cauliflower slices then sprinkle over the spices; rub well so the cauliflower slices are entirely covered with spices; place the cauliflower steaks in a baking tray lined with parchment paper;
- (Optional) Add the cherry tomatoes to the baking tray and drizzle over some olive oil;
- Bake cauliflower and cherry tomatoes at 190°C for 25-30 minutes or until the cauliflower is soft on the inside and a bit crispy on the outside;
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to the package instructions; when they're done, run under cold water and let them drain into a sieve; then combine well with pumpkin seeds pesto;
- Arrange cauliflower steaks, cherry tomato and pasta on a large plate and enjoy!