These baked chickpea stuffed sweet potatoes are the perfect choice for a light nourishing meal. Add some fresh veggies and a flavorful chives coriander yogurt dressing and you won’t need anything else.
Plus it’s vegan, gluten free and really easy to put together!
Yogurt dressing preparation
*You may find details about the needed quantity of ingredients in the recipe card at the end of the article.
No fuss here. Chop chives and coriander leaves, mince garlic, then put all ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine. This dressing needs to rest for at least 1 hour. So place it into the fridge to allow flavors release.
I used cashew yogurt, but any unsweetened vegan yogurt would work.
And I must say I’m not a big fan of coriander leaves, but this combination was really good. If you’re avoiding coriander, feel free to substitute with mint leaves or even parsley.
How to make chickpea stuffed sweet potatoes
Since they don’t cook at the same time, I baked chickpea and potatoes in two separate batches.
Prick the sweet potatoes with the pins of a fork, put them into a baking trey and cook for 45-60 minutes at 200° C. The baking time depends on how large your potatoes are.
You can either use canned chickpeas or you can cook it yourself. If you’re using dry chickpeas, let them soak overnight in a bowl with water and 1 tsp of baking soda. This will help chickpeas soften easier. And you’ll need 130 g of dry chickpeas to get the equivalent of a can. Remember to save the aquafaba (the liquid from the can or remained after cooking the chickpeas). You can use it to make vegan mayonnaise, which you’ll need in this recipe to prepare the dressing.
Put the cooked chickpeas into a sieve and allow them to drain completely, then transfer to a baking trey. Sprinkle over the spices, drizzle the olive oil and combine well. Bake the chickpeas at 200 °C for 20 minutes, until crunchy.
Remove the potatoes from the oven when they’re done and let them cool a little. Then split the tops open with a knife and stuff with baked chickpeas and fresh veggies (cherry tomatoes, cucumbers). Add yogurt dressing on top and enjoy!
Other sweet potato recipes
- Sweet potato and green pea patties
- Sweet potato, cauliflower and chickpea curry
- Brown rice sweet potato bowl with wild garlic sauce
If you like this chickpea stuffed sweet potatoes with yogurt dressing recipe, please rate it or leave a comment below. And, if you prepare these baked sweet potatoes, you can share a photo and tag Choose Tasty either on Instagram (#choose_tasty) or on Facebook (#choosetasty). I’d love to see your creations.
Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes | With Yogurt Dressing
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1 chickpea can
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes cut in halves
- 200 g cucumbers cut in cubes
Yogurt dressing ingredients
- 300 g cashew yogurt or other unsweetened vegan yogurt
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- chives chopped
- fresh coriander leaves chopped
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- To make the dressing, put all ingredients into a bowl, stir to combine, then leave it in the fridge for at least 1 hour;
- Preheat the oven at 200°C;
- Prick the sweet potatoes with the tins of a fork, place them into a baking trey, then bake for 50-60 minutes, until soft;
- Drain the chickpea, then transfer to a baking trey; sprinkle over the spices and drizzle the olive oil on top; combine well so all chickpeas are covered with spices; bake at 200°C for 20 minutes, until crunchy;
- Split the potatoes tops open with a knife and stuff with baked chickpeas, cherry tomatoes and cucumbers; add yogurt dressing on top and enjoy!