This cauliflower potato soup with green pea is so creamy and hearty. It’s packed with nutrients, flavorful and really easy to throw together. Plus, it’s vegan and gluten-free.
It will comfort you on a cold winter day, but it will also be good for a summer day when you’re not in the mood for another salad.
About the soup ingredients
In this paragraph you’ll find general Information about the ingredients (role, substitutes). You may find details about quantities and preparation instructions in the recipe box at the end of the article.
The ingredients necessary to prepare this soup are quite basic and cheap.
The base for this soup is made of a yellow onion and minced garlic sauté. Healthy and flavorful, they can’t be missed.
The vegetables which make the soup so hearty are cauliflower, red potato, carrot and green peas. All veggies I used were fresh except for the green peas which were frozen. When in season, I prefer using fresh green peas. Canned are also fine, but they’re missing the nice fresh green color.
I used dried thyme, sage and bay leaves to season the soup and give it a nice flavor. You can choose other herbs you like – rosemary, basil, parsley, etc.
And you also need some vegetable broth or just pour in water and add an organic vegetable cube, as I did. Simple water works fine too if you don’t have veggie broth or cube.
How to make cauliflower potato soup with green peas
When making a soup with more vegetables, different cooking times have to be considered. Not all vegetables cook at the same time, so we have to add them in turn.
Step 1: Prepare and sauté the veggies
Peel and cube the potatoes (1-2 cm), peel and dice the carrot (1 cm). Then roughly chop the cauliflower florets. Finely dice the onion and mince the garlic with a press.
First sauté onion and garlic, then add in the carrots. I chose to sauté them in vegetable oil, but if you’re trying to avoid using oil, you can skip it and use 100 ml water instead. The carrots are the vegetables with the longest cooking time in this recipe. That’s why we need to sauté them a little before adding the rest of the veggies.
Step 2: Simmer the vegetables
After the carrot got soften a little, pour in the vegetable broth, potatoes, cauliflower and bring to a boil. At this point, add salt, pepper and dried herbs and let the soup simmer for a few minutes.
Step 3: Blend the vegetables (partially)
Well, this is the step that makes our soup nice and creamy without using cream or starch. You only need to blend a small part of the simmered veggies to get the creamy texture. Take out about 2/3 of the simmered vegetables and set them aside. Let the rest of the vegetables to simmer until fully cooked, then blend with an immersion blender. Don’t forget to take out the bay leaves before blending.
Step 4: Add in the green peas and simmer
Put the veggies back into the pot and add the green peas. The green peas don’t need much time to cook. So, simmering for 1-2 minutes, will be enough.
And now your creamy soup is done ????.
How to store the cauliflower, potato and green pea soup
This soup keeps well in the fridge in an airtight container for 4-5 days. You can also freeze it for about 3 months.
Do you like creamy soups?
If you do, then you might also want to try these recipes:
If you like this creamy vegan cauliflower, potato and green pea soup, please rate it or leave a comment below. And if you give it a try, take a picture and share it on Instagram; don’t forget to tag #choose_tasty ????.
Creamy Cauliflower, Potato, and Green Pea Soup
- immersion blender
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 200 g carrots sliced into about 5 mm pieces
- 900 ml vegetable broth or water
- 400 g red potatoes cubed
- 350 g cauliflower florets fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ – 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 250 g green peas fresh or frozen
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot; when it's hot, add the diced onion and minced garlic and sauté over medium heat for about 2 minutes; stir continuously to avoid burning;
- Add carrots and and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until they become soft;
- Pour in the vegetable broth and add potatoes and cauliflower; cover with a lid and bring to a boil;
- When it starts boiling, add salt, pepper, and dried herbs then let it simmer over medium to low heat;
- After 6-7 minutes of simmering, take out of the pot about ⅔ of the veggies; set aside and let the soup with the remained ⅓ of the veggies simmer for another 3-4 minutes;
- When the vegetables are cooked, use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth; take the bay leaves out before blending;
- Bring in the rest of the cooked vegetables together with the green peas and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- If you don’t want to use oil to sauté onion and garlic, use 100 ml water; add a little more when you bring in the carrots.
- I blended only 1/3 of the veggies to get a creamy but still liquid soup.