This creamy potato leek soup is super easy and quick to prepare. Cozy and super delicious, velvety smooth, with a hint of nutmeg and a lemony flavor, it pairs well with crispy bread, roasted seeds and nuts or some garlic bread.
In this paragraph you’ll find general information about used ingredients, their role and potential substitutes. The details about quantities and preparation steps can be found in the recipe box at the end of the article.
Obviously, leeks and potatoes are the star ingredients here. Be sure you use only whites and light greens from the leeks. You can save the green parts for serving. And give them a good rinse as dirt and debris can be caught in their inner layers.
I’ve also used a carrot to add a bit of sweetness to the soup.
Due to their starch content, potatoes make any soup creamy. I added some cashews to make this soup even creamier. If you don’t have cashews, use some unsweetened vegan cream or plant based milk.
As for the spices, I went with dried thyme, bay leaves and a bit of ground nutmeg.
At the end, I drizzled some fresh lemon juice on top for a citrusy flavor.
How to make creamy potato leek soup
Start by preparing all the veggies. Peel and chop / dice onion, garlic, carrot, leek and potatoes.
I chose to sauté onion and garlic in olive oil. If oil free, use water to sauté the veggies. When onion and garlic are fragrant, add sliced carrots as they need more time to cook. Sauté them for about 5-6 minutes, then add the sliced leeks and cook for another five minutes. This way, leek will release more flavor.
Add the rest of ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes, until all ingredients are cooked.
The final step is to blend the soup with an immersion blender (or transfer to a countertop blender) until you get the desired creaminess. Don’t forget to remove the bay leaves before using the blender.
You can serve the soup with crisp bread, roasted seeds (sunflower, pine seeds) or roasted nuts (walnuts, cashews).
How to store the creamy potato leek soup
This vegan soup keeps well in the fridge, in an airtight container, up to 5 days. You can also freeze it for about2 months.
Other creamy soups you might like
If you like this vegan potato leek soup recipe, please rate it or leave a comment below. And, if you prepare this delicious soup, you can share a photo and tag Choose Tasty either on Instagram, or on Facebook. I’d love to see your creations.
Creamy Potato Leek Soup | Vegan Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves crushed
- 100 g carrot sliced
- 250 g leek whites and light greens (2 leeks) sliced
- 800 g potato diced
- 30 g cashews
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp salt or to taste
- 800 ml water or vegetable stock
- 1 organic vegetable cube optional
- juice from 1 lemon optional
- Heat the olive oil into a large pot; when it's hot, add onion and garlic; sauté over medium heat for about 2 minutes;
- Add carrots and sauté for 5-6 minutes; pour in some water if necessary; stir from time to time;
- Bring in the leeks and sauté for another 5 minutes; stir from time to time;
- Add the rest of the ingredients, cover with a lit and simmer for 30 minutes over medium-low heat, until all veggies are tender;
- Remove the bay leaves and use a blender to blend the soup until smooth;
- Transfer to serving bowls, drizzle over fresh lemon juice and enjoy with crispy bread and/or roasted nuts and seeds.
- If oil free, sauté the vegetables in 100-200 ml water.
- If you’re using vegetable stock, the organic vegetable cube is not necessary.
- In case you don’t want to use cashews, you can add some vegan cream or plant based milk.