Scrambled eggs is one of the most popular breakfast ideas. And being vegan doesn’t mean you have to kiss goodbye your scrambled egg breakfast. This easy tofu scramble recipe is the vegan alternative to scrambled egg. It’s high in protein and ready in 10 minutes with only 5 ingredients. And it looks and tastes like scrambled eggs too. Let’s see how!
Tofu scramble ingredients
In this paragraph, you’ll find general information about used ingredients, their role in the recipe and possible substitutes. You may find details about quantities and step by step preparation in the recipe card at the end of the article.
There are 5 main ingredients I used to prepare this easy tofu scramble recipe:
- tofu – I prefer firm tofu for this recipe; no need to press it, as the liquid will evaporate while cooking;
- vegan cream – I used soy cream, but unsweetened oat cream works as well; due to its starch content, the vegan cream binds the tofu pieces; if you don’t have any vegan cream, use 3-4 tbsp of unsweetened soy or oat milk;
- black salt (kala namak) – I prefer this salt because it recreates the eggs taste due to its sulfur content; use any other salt if you don’t have black salt in your pantry;
- turmeric – I don’t use it as a spice in this recipe, just for the yellow color it brings; skip it if you don’t like it;
- nutritional yeast – to add a cheesy taste.
How to make tofu scramble
It’s not really a big deal at all. Instead of beating the eggs you need to mash the tofu block.
So, put the tofu block into a bowl and break it with a fork or with your hands. Leave a few bigger pieces for texture. Then add the rest of the ingredients and combine well.
Put some vegetable oil into a pan and heat it. I like sautéing some green onions (only the whites) for a bit of flavor. After the onions soften, add the tofu mixture and cook over medium heat for about 7-8 minutes. Stir from time to time.
Then turn off the heat and serve the vegan omelette on toast with your favorite toppings.
Tofu scramble is quite ordinary these days. What you add on top is what makes tofu scramble great. So, here are a few ideas to customize your favorite breakfast:
- fresh veggies – feel free to add anything you have in the fridge: tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, lettuce, cabbage, kale, green onion, any type of pepper;
- mushrooms – I use Champignon which I marinate in soy sauce first, then I sauté for 2 minutes;
- crispy chickpeas – drizzle some olive oil over chickpeas from a can (or boiled), add salt, smoked paprika and chili powder, then bake for 20-30 minutes at 180° C, until they become crispy;
- spinach – mix in a handful of fresh spinach (or frozen) 2-3 minutes before your tofu scrambled is cooked.
How to store the tofu scramble
Ideally you should serve it immediately. But, if necessary, you can store it in the fridge in an airtight container up to 3 days. It’s important to use an air tight recipient otherwise the tofu scramble will turn brownish on the edges.
I wouldn’t recommend freezing it, as tofu changes texture when frozen.
Other breakfast ideas
Other recipes using tofu
- Cherry tomato quiche
- Zucchini tofu balls pasta with garlicky white sauce
- Thai green curry
- Tofu makhani – tomato curry with gingered tofu
- Palak tofu – spinach curry
- Chinese fried noodles with vegetables and tofu
If you like this easy tofu scramble recipe, please leave a comment below and rate it. And if you make it, let me know how it worked for you; I’d love to hear your feedback. Also, take a photo and don’t forget to tag #choose_tasty on Instagram.
Easy Tofu Scramble Recipe
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 green onions (only the whites) – chopped optional
- 250 g firm tofu
- 60 ml unsweetened soy or oat cream
- ⅔ tsp black salt (kala namak) or to taste
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Put the tofu block in a a bowl and mash it with a fork or with your hands; leave a few bigger pieces for texture, if you wish;
- Add black salt, soy cream, nutritional yeast and turmeric and combine;
- Put the vegetable oil into a non-stick pan and heat it; when the oil is hot, add the chopped onion and sauté over medium heat until fragrant (1 minute);
- Add the tofu mixture and cook over medium heat for 7-8 minutes; stir from time to time;
- Turn off the heat, put the tofu scramble on toast and enjoy it with your favorite toppings.
- Replace oil with 3-4 tbsp of water if oil-free.
- You can replace vegan cream with 4-5 tbsp of unsweetened soy or oat milk.