This one pot vegan gnocchi pearl oyster mushroom soup is so comforting, hearty and full of flavor! And it comes together really easy.
The ingredients you’ll need to make this soup are simple and affordable.
Due to their not-so-appealing look, I wasn’t quite willing until recently to try pearl oyster mushrooms. And when I did it… OMG!! Combine them with the right ingredients and spices and you won’t get enough of it! They’re amazing!
Besides mushrooms, I’ve also used carrots and apio and I added a handful of spinach at the end.
As for the gnocchi, if you’re in the mood, you can make them yourself. Otherwise, there are plenty of good store bought gnocchi options which will save a lot of your precious time.
And to make a creamy white soup, I used soy milk combined with a bit of cornstarch. Usually, I add soy cream, but, since it’s made with cornstarch, what’s the point?! Of course, you can skip the cornstarch and make a thinner soup, if you wish so.
How to make gnocchi and pearl oyster mushroom soup
If using store bought gnocchi, it’s quite simple to make this vegan soup.
Start by preparing the veggies. Wash them all, then peel the carrots. Cut carrots and apio into small pieces so they cook faster. Break mushrooms into stripes, then dice onion and garlic. If using large spinach leaves, roughly chop them.
Next, combine well cornstarch with some water and set aside. I prefer this method to adding the cornstarch directly to the soup to avoid lumps.
To sauté onion and garlic, you have two options. You can either use oil, or you can use water. I prefer the second option, as it’s healthier. When onion and garlic soften and release flavors, add the veggies (except for spinach), herbs, salt, and pepper and let them simmer over medium heat for 25-30 minutes.
Add gnocchi, pour in the soy milk and bring again to a boiling point. I’ve also added a pinch of ground nutmeg for its nice flavor, but you can skip it if this not your favorite spice. When the soup starts simmering, add cornstarch and allow the soup to cook for about 2-3 minutes, until it thickens a little.
Then stir in the spinach and turn off the heat. Transfer to serving bowls and enjoy it!
Other vegan soup recipes
- Creamy cauliflower, potato and green pea soup
- Vegan red lentil soup with carrots and spinach
- Creamy potato leek soup
If you like this gnocchi and pearl oyster mushroom soup, please rate it or leave a comment below; I’d love to know your feedback. And, if you prepare this creamy vegan soup, you can share a photo and tag Choose Tasty either on Instagram, or on Facebook.
Gnocchi and Pearl Oyster Mushroom Soup | Vegan Recipe
- 1 large onion diced
- 4-5 garlic cloves minced
- 200 ml water (to sauté garlic and onion) or 2 tbsp oil
- 300 g carrots julienne cut
- 400 g apio cut into 1-2 cm pieces
- 500 g pearl oyster mushrooms broken into stripes
- 300 ml water or vegetable stock
- ⅔ tsp dry thyme
- ⅔ tsp dry basil
- 1 tsp ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 tbsp salt or to taste
- 900 ml soy milk unsweetened
- 300 g gnocchi
- 1 tbsp cornstarch optional
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg optional
- 180 g spinach
- Combine cornstarch with 2 tbsp of water into a small bowl and set aside;
- Put onion, garlic, and 200 ml water in a large pot and sauté over medium heat for 3-4 minutes; stir continuously and add more water if needed;
- Add carrots, apio, mushrooms, dried herbs, salt, pepper, and 300 ml water, cover with a lid and let the soup simmer over medium heat for 25-30 minutes;
- Pour in soy milk, add gnocchi and ground nutmeg, stir well and bring to a boiling point;
- Stir in the cornstarch mixture and simmer for 2-3 minutes, until the soup thickens a little;
- Fold in the spinach and turn off the heat.