Although I’ve made some vegan lasagne in the past with different ingredients, none of the previous versions was as good as this minced tofu lasagne baked in a flavorful marinara sauce! And it’s not only delicious, but I can tell you for sure it will fool your non-vegan friends. Its meaty texture is all due to minced tofu I used. I was quite reluctant in the beginning, but now I’m glad I decided to give it a try. And definitely this won’t be my last recipe with minced tofu.
Vegan lasagne ingredients
In this paragraph you’ll find general information about used ingredients. Details about necessary quantities and step-by-step preparation method can be found in the recipe card at the end of the article.
Obviously, special guest here is minced tofu. I used a store bought product. In Romania, currently there’s only one option: minced tofu from Take It Veggie / Kaufland (this is not a sponsored article). And trust me, minced tofu is a great substitute for minced meat.
I’ve also used white miso for that umami taste it brings to any dish.
The rest of the ingredients are quite simple.
For the lasagne filling, you’ll also need onion, garlic, and carrots. Since minced miso is quite dry, I used a bit of simple tomato sauce. And I added some dry herbs (basil, thyme, oregano), ground black pepper, and chili flakes.
As for the sauce, you can check my marinara sauce recipe. Be sure to cook 2 batches if you want to prepare this recipe. This is a 6 servings lasagne. And I didn’t cook the lasagne pasta before baking. So you’ll need a lot of sauce.
For the cheesy taste, I preferred using nutritional yeast, but if you have a favorite vegan cheese / parmesan, go for it!
How to make minced tofu lasagne
If you already have the marinara sauce prepared, it’s quite easy to make this minced tofu lasagne, in just 2 simple phases.
Lasagne filling preparation
First, sauté onion and garlic for about 2 minutes, until flavors are released. Then add minced tofu with simple tomato sauce and combine well.
Stir in miso paste (thinned with water) together with the rest of the filling ingredients, except for carrots. Cook for about 7-8 minutes, until flavors combine.
Fold in the grated carrot and cook for 1-2 minutes. If the filling is too dry, add more water or tomato sauce.
Assemble minced tofu lasagne
To easily assemble the lasagne, keep handy all ingredients.
For a 25×30 cm baking dish I used 15 lasagne sheets.
As mentioned above, I didn’t cook the lasagne pasta before baking. I did it in the past and it was quite messy and time consuming.
First, add a marinara sauce layer on the bottom of the baking dish, then a lasagne sheets layer. Pour over another marinara sauce layer to make sure there’s enough liquid for the pasta to absorb.
Next, spread over half of the minced tofu mixture and add marinara sauce on top. Sprinkle over some nutritional yeast (or grated vegan cheese), then add another pasta layer, sauce, minced tofu filling, pasta and the rest of the sauce. Finish with nutritional yeast on top.
Bake the lasagne for 50-60 minutes at 180 ° C.
After removing from the oven, allow the lasagne to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Other vegan dishes you might like
- Broccoli wild garlic stuffed shells
- Green beans and mushrooms with creamy polenta
- Vegan crepes stuffed with mushrooms and red pepper
If you like this minced tofu lasagne recipe, please rate it or leave a comment below. And, if you prepare a vegan lasagne using my recipe, you can share a photo and tag Choose Tasty either on Instagram (#choose_tasty) or on Facebook (#choosetasty). I’d love to see your creations.
Minced Tofu Lasagne with Marinara Sauce | Vegan Recipe
- 15 lasagne sheets
- 1-1,2 kg marinara sauce
- 5-6 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil or 100 ml water
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 4-5 garlic cloves minced
- 400 g minced tofu
- 5-6 tbsp simple tomato sauce
- 1 tsp white miso
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- ¾ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp dry thyme
- ½ tsp dry basil
- ½ tsp dry oregano
- 100 g grated carrot
- Heat olive oil (or water) in a wok or a large skillet over medium heat; add onion and garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes; stir from time to time;
- Crush the minced tofu block with a fork; add it into the wok together with the simple tomato sauce and combine well;
- Combine miso paste with 3-4 tbsp of water then add it to the tofu together with the rest of the filling ingredients, except for the carrot; combine well and cook for 7-8 minutes;
- Fold in the grated carrot and cook for another 1-2 minutes, then turn off the heat;
- Preheat the oven at 180°C;
- Spread a marinara sauce layer on the bottom of the baking dish, then add a pasta layer (5 sheets); cover in marinara sauce and add half of the minced tofu filling;
- Spread over the filling some marinara sauce and sprinkle 2-3 tbsp of nutritional yeast;
- Add another pasta layer, and repeat with the rest of the ingredients;
- Bake the lasagne at 180°C for 50-60 minutes, until the pasta is soft enough;
- Remove the dish from the oven and allow lasagne to cool for a few minutes before serving.