Beetroot carrot soup is not only delicious, it’s also very healthy and packed with nutrients. I prepared a mix of beetroot, carrot, potato and onion to give it a boost in flavor and to make it creamier. And, to me, veggies always taste better when roasted.
Ingredients for beetroot carrot soup
- beets – obviously the star ingredient here which makes the soup healthy and rich in vitamins and nutrients; they’re a great source of folic acid, fiber, magnesium and potassium;
- carrot – so rich in vitamin A,K and C, potassium and fiber;
- potato – for this soup it’s better to choose potatoes that are high in starch and have a mealy texture;
- red onion – for its mild and sweet taste;
- organic vegetable cube – make sure you use something without artificial ingredients; you can replace it with vegetable broth (and you won’t need water then);
- spices – I chose ground black pepper, bay leaves, dried basil and thyme, but feel free to use whatever you like; other spices that go well with beets are caraway, chives, cumin, dill, ginger.
How to make roasted beetroot carrot soup
This is a quick and easy blender soup. Just a few simple steps and you’re there.
First you need to roast the beets and the carrot in the oven for about 20 minutes. You can prick the veggies with the tines of a fork so that they don’t “explode” in the oven. It’s also best to use beets that are equal in size to get them cooked at the same time. If your beets are too big, you can cut them in halves or quarters so that they cook faster.
Peel and cut them into small pieces after removing from the oven.
While the beets and carrot are roasting in the oven, peel and cut the onion and the potato.
Put all veggies into a pot with spices, vegetable cube and water. Let them simmer over medium low heat for 10 minutes until all vegetables are cooked.
When the vegetables are moist and tender, turn off the heat and let them cool a little before transferring to a blender.
Return the purée mixture to the pan and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add more water if the soup is too thick.
Transfer the soup to bowls and serve it with croutons or toast.
How to store the soup
You can store this soup in the refrigerator up to 3 days in an airtight container. You can also freeze it and keep it for a longer time.
Let me know if you like this recipe. I’d love to hear your feedback. Write a comment below or share a photo and tag #choose_tasty ?.
Savory Roasted Carrot Beetroot Soup
- 500 g beetroot
- 1 carrot
- 1 potato cut into small cubes
- 1 red onion
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 organic vegetables cube
- 3 cups water
- Preheat the oven at 200°C; prick beets and carrot with the tines of a fork and roast them for 20 minutes;
- Peel the beets and the carrot and cut them in small pieces (the same size as the potatoes);
- Put all ingredients in a medium sized pot and simmer for about 15 minutes over medium-low heat;
- Take the bay leaves out and blend the veggies in a high speed blender;
- Return the mixture to the pot and simmer for another 5 minutes; add water if necessary;
- Transfer to bowls and enjoy it with croutons or toast.
- The smaller you cut the vegetables, the faster they cook.
- You can replace the vegetables cube and water with vegetable broth.