Many say that vegan crispy cauliflower bites are the healthy plant-based replacement for hot wings and chicken nuggets. Don’t fool yourself! They don’t taste like chicken and they don’t even have similar texture. But they’re sooo delicious??. They’ll definitely keep you come for more ?.
Crispy crust key ingredient
I’ve three ingredients so far to get a crispy crust: bread crumbs, corn flour (not cornstarch) and cornflakes. And I got quite different results.
When I used breadcrumbs, the crust turned out crispy indeed, but it definitely wasn’t the “queen” of crispiness. The corn flour gave a crunchy crust, but it was also a bit too dry for my taste. And when I tried the cornflakes coating, I finally got what I wanted. The cauliflower was soft enough, covered in a firm thick baked batter; and then there was a third really crispy cornflakes layer. My crispy cauliflower bites were exactly how I imagined them to be ?.
How to make vegan crispy cauliflower bites
Put the cornflakes into a food processor and pulse lightly until broken down, but not completely pulverized. The cornflakes should still have a rough texture.
Break the cauliflower into florets, then and rinse and let them drain in a sieve.
In a large bowl, mix all batter ingredients, except for the cornflakes. Be sure the ingredients are well combined and no lumps are left. Then add half of the crushed cornflakes and give the batter a quick stir.
Now you’ll have to move fast so the cornflakes don’t get too soft. Take a handful of florets and dump them into the batter so each floret is evenly coated. Then shake off any excess batter and transfer the florets to a large baking tray lined with parchment paper. Repeat until all florets are coated with batter. Make sure there’s enough space between the cauliflower florets, otherwise they won’t get crispy.
Sprinkle the remained crushed cornflakes over the florets and bake for 30 minutes at 190° C, until golden brown and crunchy.
Cauliflower bites serving ideas
These crispy cauliflower bites can be served as an appetizer with fresh veggies or pickles; but they go best with sauces like vegan mayo, marinara sauce or any other sauce you prefer. You can also add a side dish like rice, fries or mashed potatoes and you’ll have a delicious lunch or dinner ?.
If you like this vegan cauliflower “wings” recipe, please leave a comment below. I’d love to hear your feedback. And if you try it, take a photo, and post it on Instagram; don’t forget to tag #choose_tasty ?.
Vegan Crispy Cauliflower Bites
- 5-600 g cauliflower florets rinsed and drained
- 100 g all purpose flour
- 200 ml unsweetened soy milk or oat milk
- 200 g cornflakes
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp chili powder or to taste
- ½ tsp turmeric optional (for color)
- Put the cornflakes into a food processor and lightly pulse until they break (not completely);
- Preheat the oven at 190° C and line a large baking tray with parchment paper;
- In a large bowl, mix well flour, milk, salt, chili, and turmeric;
- Add in half of the crushed cornflakes and give a quick stir;
- Dump a handful of cauliflower florets into the batter and stir so they are evenly coated;
- Use tongs or two forks to take out the florets; shake off the excess batter and put them into the baking tray; proceed the same with the remained florets;
- Sprinkle the remained cornflakes over the coated florets;
- Place the tray into the oven and bake for 30 minutes, until they turn golden brown;
- Remove the cauliflower bites from the oven and serve with your favorite sauces while they're hot.
- Be sure there’s enough space between the florets in the tray, otherwise they won’t be crispy enough.
- The baking time depends on how big the cauliflower florets are; also be sure to cut the cauliflower into equally sized florets so they cook at the same time.