Creamy Cauliflower, Potato, and Green Pea Soup
This cauliflower, potato and green pea soup is so creamy and hearty. It’s packed with nutrients, flavorful and really easy to throw together. Plus, it’s vegan and gluten-free.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 200 g carrots sliced into about 5 mm pieces
- 900 ml vegetable broth or water
- 400 g red potatoes cubed
- 350 g cauliflower florets fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ - 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 250 g green peas fresh or frozen
Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot; when it's hot, add the diced onion and minced garlic and sauté over medium heat for about 2 minutes; stir continuously to avoid burning;
Add carrots and and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until they become soft;
Pour in the vegetable broth and add potatoes and cauliflower; cover with a lid and bring to a boil;
When it starts boiling, add salt, pepper, and dried herbs then let it simmer over medium to low heat;
After 6-7 minutes of simmering, take out of the pot about ⅔ of the veggies; set aside and let the soup with the remained ⅓ of the veggies simmer for another 3-4 minutes;
When the vegetables are cooked, use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth; take the bay leaves out before blending;
Bring in the rest of the cooked vegetables together with the green peas and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- If you don't want to use oil to sauté onion and garlic, use 100 ml water; add a little more when you bring in the carrots.
- I blended only 1/3 of the veggies to get a creamy but still liquid soup.